The SENMC Emergency Aid Program assists students who have sudden, unforeseen financial emergencies. This is a non-financial aid award given to students who are experiencing temporary financial crisis and are dependent on these funds to help them stay enrolled at SENMC.
Eligibility for the Grant
- Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) and must have a minimum GPA of 2.00
- Students must have a record of good conduct
- Students must complete application in full with supporting documentation of crisis or emergency
Enrollment at Southeast New Mexico College
The goal of this grant is to assist those students who are matriculated and whose sudden emergency threatens their enrollment. Consideration for the grant will include the student’s ability to continue academically and financially going forward.
Eligible expenses include but are limited to:
- Overdue utility bills with threat of turn-off notice (Excluding cable/satellite TV, mobile phone, etc.)
- Medical or dental emergencies
- Automotive repairs
- Laptop computers/tablets
Emergency aid funds may NOT be used for:
- NMSU/NMSU Carlsbad related expenses (parking fines, tuition, books, supplies, required tools or equipment, etc)
- Prior balances owed to Southeast New Mexico College (Formerly NMSU Carlsbad)
- Overdue credit card bills, loans, or insurance
- The maximum amount given to any student is $500
- Funds are not directly paid to students
- Payments are made to companies or organizations (third parties)
- This is not an emergency loan program, funds expended do not have to be repaid
- Make an appointment to see the Vice President for Student Services, Juanita Garcia, by calling (575) 234-9220
- Students will be required to complete an online application. Students must also upload documentation supporting their need for financial assistance (e.g., quote from dentist office). Incomplete applications are not considered.
- After a complete application is submitted, you will be notified within 2 business days of approval or denial.
- If approved, you are required to attend a follow-up meeting with the Vice President for Student Services for referral to other campus and community resources if needed.
The Emergency Aid Program at SENMC is made possible by a grant from ECMC – Project Success
Through a partnership with the U.S. Department of Education, the EMC – Project Success Program is designed to eliminate or mitigate the barriers community college students sometimes face in pursuit of their education.
Southeast New Mexico College (Formerly NMSU Carlsbad) was selected to participate in this program by the U.S. Department of Education.