Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 is a federal law that prohibits sex discrimination in education. It reads:
“No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and its implementing regulation at 34 C.F.R. Part 106(Title IX)
SENMC has unequivocally committed itself to assure a work and learning environment in which the dignity of every individual is respected. SENMC strives to provide an environment for employees, students, and campus visitors that is free from any form of sexual discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual violence. Likewise the college prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender in all college activities and programs. Any form of sexual harassment or discrimination is a violation of Southeast New Mexico College Policy and Rules.
SENMC Responsibilities under Title IX Law
- SENMC will resolve complaints promptly and equitably.
- SENMC will take immediate and appropriate action once it knows or reasonably know of possible sexual harassment, sexual assault, intimate partner violence, or stalking.
- SENMC will take prompt and effective steps to end sexual harassment, sexual assault, intimate partner violence, and stalking, prevent its re-occurrence and address its effects.
- SENMC will offer interim measures to protect the complainant or the university community and to support both parties prior to and while the investigation is pending.
- SENMC will provide an opportunity for both parties to present witnesses and evidence, as well as, offer the same appeal rights.