SENMC Social Media Guidelines
Social media has become an integral part of our lives, including at Southeast New Mexico College. As representatives of our institution, it is essential to use social media responsibly, ethically, and professionally. These guidelines are designed to provide a framework for faculty, staff, and students when using social media platforms on behalf of our institution.
- All social media channel accounts that are affiliated with SENMC, MUST be approved by the SENMC Marketing and Publications Office prior to its establishment. The Marketing Department will create the page and assign admins. The profile for SENMC Marketing and Publications must remain an administrator on the account.
- Content that utilizes the SENMC brand and image ( flyers, videography, photography, etc.) must be pre-approved by the SENMC Marketing Department prior to posting.
- Please use official logos, graphics, and branding elements as provided by SENMC’s marketing and publications department when representing the institution on social media. Do not alter or manipulate official branding elements without proper authorization.
- Live streams, reels, and Student social media takeovers must be pre-approved by the SENMC Marketing department.
- Consider your target audience when posting. Post on a regular basis to make sure the page does not go stagnant. A content calendar is a great way to plan and approve posts ahead of time.
- Respect the privacy and confidentiality of students, colleagues, and the community. Avoid posting personal information about individuals without their consent. Student, faculty, staff models must sign a photo release before photos are published. At public events please ask permission before taking photos and posting online. If a person requests to have their photo taken down, please respect their privacy and take down the post. Adhere to all applicable laws and regulations, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) when posting any information.
- Be respectful and considerate in all your interactions on social media platforms. Avoid engaging in personal attacks, offensive language, or discriminatory behavior. Maintain a professional tone and avoid making disparaging remarks about the community college, its employees, students, or partners.
- Admins must regularly monitor and moderate social media accounts for inappropriate or offensive comments and respond promptly and professionally to inquiries and feedback. Please report any offensive or inappropriate comments by sending a screenshot and emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Engage with the community college's followers, stakeholders, and the wider community in a positive and constructive manner. Encourage respectful discussions, provide helpful information, and promote the community college's mission, programs, and events
- Stay updated on the latest trends, best practices, and policies related to social media use in an educational context.
- Ensure the accuracy of the information you share on social media. Double-check facts, verify sources, and provide proper attribution when necessary. Clearly distinguish between personal opinions and official information from the community college. When sharing official announcements or news, provide links to the official sources whenever possible. Refrain from political or religious posts.
- Review and understand the privacy settings of the social media platforms you use. Take appropriate measures to protect your personal information and ensure the security of the community college's official accounts. Follow best practices for online security.
- The SENMC Marketing Department has the authority to delete pages if posts are offensive or if the page is no longer in use.
Remember, these guidelines are meant to provide general principles for using social media on behalf Southeast New Mexico College. With the rapid growth of social media, these guidelines are subject to change. It is important to familiarize yourself with any additional guidelines, policies, and regulations, specific to SENMC.
For questions, please email email@example.com